Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mr. Candy man can... and he did.

Skittles.

They're tiny. They're round. And now they're chocolate?

chicka- whaa?

For real?

yes.

I couldn't believe it myself. Though its not completely on topic here, I think it is arguable that the creation of such an object is one of culinary and confectionary artistry. Naturally, I was positively floored with curiousity.

They're skittles... but they're chocolate... but are they made of chocolate?... but skittle? ... Squishy M&Ms ...?

These I needed to try.

So i embarked on an endless (and friutless) hunt for the little devils. Drug store after drug store, cashier after cashier, I left empty handed, with disbelieving employees giggling behind my back. I was nearly at the quitting point. Surely I had been fooled.

But hark! Weeks into my search, I received a phone call from my sister who is touring New England in search of colleges. At a ramshackle snack stand in "the middle of ishkabibble, nowhere" she had finally found the little brown skittles package which was the container for the beautiful creatures. Finally it was the moment I had been waiting for. The moment of truth.

As soon as I got my hands on the little thing, I savagely tore through the wrapper, however paid special care as to not destroy it completely so i could save it as evidence of Chocolate Skittle existence.

They came in different flavors. Vanilla, S'mores, Chocolate Pudding, Brownie Batter, and i believe there was another.

The first one I tried was the chocolate pudding. I placed it on my tongue and much to my surprise, it was not made of chocolate, and was in fact, of skittle consistency. But it tasted JUST LIKE chocolate pudding!!!

I tried every one. I'm still out on my decision to say that they were anything more than interesting. I honestly couldn't say whether or not they were pleasant or unpleasant. I definietly think that they're too confusing to gain much popularity though. Especially when the only place you can buy them is "ishkabibble."

No comments: